Saturday 20 April 2013

Record Store Day 2013, Polyester Records & Poison City Records

20th April 2013 (Records Store Day).

I've been looking forward to this for a month or so, checking out the release lists and planning where to go. Although Australia is not getting all the release there are still several nice vinyls on offer, my mission was to not be late and miss all the good loot like last year.

So with this in mind I had to do a bit of research to get an idea what was avaliable and you to find out which shop/shops will be carrying which releases.
  • For me The Cure's re-release of 'Kiss,me' looked pretty cool, plus there was a collection of LP's and 12"s from Hermitude, Gotye, Neil Young and others, a few which looked interesting.
  • So where to go. I liked what Title would be carrying but after getting a sneek preview on Thursday (nice but missing a few nice pieces) I decided to go with Polyester in Fitzroy, I hadn't visited the shop yet as part of these posts and geographically it was central. My plan was to arrive at Polyester for opening then hook past Poison City and Ritual, then drop past Title once on my way home.
I ended up running just a little late as I stopped at Filou's to pick up a coffee and almond croissant (best in Melbourne), arriving 10-15 minutes early but as you can see there was already a healthy queue. Once the doors opened all the good stuff was to be found up front near the counter, I selected The Cure's 'Kiss, me' (red double disc edition remixed by Robert Smith and numbered 1818/4000), a Gotye 12" remix, Flume's remix if Hermitude's Hyperparadise and an Eno/Jaar/Grizzly Bear collaboration.

Poison City across the road also had a line-up an but from what I could tell their main focus was their own label's 7" releases and I just picked up a new tee shirt.

 Then off to Ritual: as I've posted before this shop is fantastic but by the time I arrive the most of the Record Store Day gear was sold out, see pic to the right
 I did however pickup the Mercury Rev 'Deserted Songs' outtake release (numbered 1001/2000). Not related to record Store Day but an especially cool find was an Om's 'Conference of the birds' picture disc (mythical) and a coloured etched copy of local legend Oren Ambarchi's 'A final kiss upon poisoned cheeks' (ethereal) and to top it all off I scored a hand printed Hell Hound carry bag (aaarrrooooo!).





.





No comments:

Post a Comment