Friday 19 September 2014

Vicious Sloth Collectables: rare records.

Vicious Sloth Collectables: Rare records
1309 High St, Malvern,
Victoria 3144.
Phone: +61398224992
Email: vsc@bigpond.net.au
www.vicioussloth.com.au

Update:19/9/2014. You know things are alive and well in Mel-bourne when one of our own gets a shout out from J Mascis in a Pitchfork interview, 'I like Vicious Sloth, which is in a suburb of Melbourne, Australia. It's expensive, but they have everything.' Check out the full interview at http://pitchfork.com/features/guest-lists/9505-j-mascis/  
New additions.

Yesterday (2013) I visited this V.S.C. for the first time and wow; what a fantastic shop, a definite top three and possible contender for pole position. I was beginning to think that I'd exhausted all the good vinyl shops in Melbourne which was a bit disappointing as I'm only half way through the list. But just when you think you have seen all that Melbourne has to offer a hidden gem pops up to and resets your expectations, even raise the bar.

Despite the unassuming appearances from outside (which I drove past twice trying to find) this shop turned out to be a treasure trove of vinyl goodness and other memorabilia.

The owner Glen was friendly and knowledgeable and happily talked me through the shops layout with the enthusiasm of a proud parent. Having been established for about 15 years and obviously managed by a passionate music lover, every thing about this shop bespoke quality and attention to detail.

Closest to the counter were sections for the early decades 40's, 50's and 60's followed by first wave, second wave and post punk (a favorite of the owner me thinks) then a crate or 2 of experimental John Cage, Killing Joke and the like. Around the corner was an A-Z section with all the usual suspects but I was particularly impressed by about 4 crates worth of Beatles records, one of the most comprehensive I've come across. After this section was the pop and charting section then a Kraut and Prog rock section including the Canterbury scene.
The Aussie section too was well appointed with some stand out pieces such as a T.I.S.M. promo white vinyl copy of '40 years then death' and my personal favorites, The Scientists. All albums were sheathed in a plastic jacket, most with a label describing the album with a few silent points.

Around the walls were the especially tasty standouts of the collection, such the Chocolate Watch Band's second album 'The Inner Mystique'. This was a 1981 Aussie repressing of an epic psychedelic rock album and although it looked in mint condition, but the $400 asking price was just a little steep. Also catching my eye was the 'Short Circuit - Live At The Electric Circus' 10" comp featuring Joy Division, this is a very sexy album and looked in near mint condition.

I ended up picking up a Spanish re-release of the Scientists' live double L.P. 'Rubber Never Sleeps' and the Human League's first album 'Reproduction', I think the 2 album covers work well together!

While chatting to the owner at the counter I was inspired by his knowledge and passion for music and vinyl and reminded of how special these shops and people truly are. This was further brought home to me the next day when I found out that Ritual Music and Books shop which I had visited and blogged about back in March closed down on that very same day. Ritual was a totally unique shop with a special atmosphere all its own and its closure is Melbourne's loss.
(P.S. According to their facebook page Ritual's consignment is being split between Collectors' Corner/Missing Link and Round and Round.)


Some highlights of my trip south of the Yarra.

Bolte bridge









No comments:

Post a Comment